Sunday, October 31, 2010

Can You Hear Me?


One afternoon as I was walking to the house from my studio for lunch, my daughter’s horse Chloe whinnied quite loud at me as I passed by the path that leads to the barn. Sitting down to the table I asked my husband why she would be calling to me, didn’t they get fed enough this morning? He said yes they had plenty; he laughed and jokingly asked “well what did she say?” I blurted out…“there is electricity in the water”. “Oh” he said looking very surprised, “I will check”. After lunch he went to check and told me the water was fine. We laughed together, that would have been really weird! hahaha That evening everything was fine.

The next morning when he went out to feed as he passed the trough he dipped his hand into the water just to eliminate any lingering curiosity. Well guess what, he got shocked!!!

So what happened??? There was a small piece of bailing twine which was used to tie the hose up so the horses couldn’t pull it out of the trough, one end was touching the water and the other was inadvertently touching the electric fence. In the morning there was just enough dew on the string to conduct electricity. The previous afternoon when he had checked the string must have been dried from the sun so there was no current.

Chloe was right there was “electricity in the water” and she “said” it loud enough to be heard.
.